You Are Worthy Of My Praise

on Monday, March 2, 2009

I will worship, with all of my heart
I will praise you, with all of my strength
I will seek you, all of my days
I will follow, all of your ways

I will bow down, and I'll hail you as king
I will serve you, I will give you everything
I will lift up my eyes to your throne
I will trust you, I will trust you alone

I will give you, all my worship
I will give you, all my praise
You alone, I long to worship
You alone, are worthy of my praise


It never occurred to me until I typed this song out how many times it says "I will". If you think about it, by singing this song we are merely telling God what our future plans are. Then there are the unrealistic promises we are making. They are ideal, yes, but to say we can make them is to say we have some power or skill. The truth is it would only be by God's grace that we could worship with any of our heart and strength, follow any of His ways, serve and give Him anything, and trust Him alone. Then the idea of telling God that we are going to give Him ALL our worship seems like we are hoping that if we sing the stanza just ... one more time ... that God might begin to believe it, but while we are still in this flesh the truth is that "our worship" will probably be shared with other things whether we like it or not. It is still full of ideals that we can strive for, but is too unrealistic to sing to the God of the Universe.

3 comments:

Christopher Cohen said...

Anyone agree with me here?

Anyone have a different take on this song? This is just my opinion and is open for discussion!

Even So... said...

I do not like this song...

Barbara said...

I first heard this song playing in the background in a "Christian" bookstore and so I was already grieved in spirit just from what I was surrounded by. Add in that song, where the word "my" seems to be emphasized as it is sung - "You are worthy of MY praise" ... and it just struck me as the kind of thing a man would say to his dog or employee - and I just couldn't take it anymore. I left, fighting back the tears.

Christ is worthy of ALL praise. That I have the privilege of approaching His throne and bowing in worship before all that is eternal and holy is unfathomable grace. That song, and the way it is sung, subtly but very truly perverts that.