Dear K-LOVE,

on Monday, March 2, 2009

This letter was written by a kid who obviously was nudged by the Holy Spirit and started to think things through. This seemed a very fitting first post for this blog. A ceremonious breaking of the bottle so to speak.


Dear K-LOVE staff:
I listen to your station every so often when I do not feel like listening to Narnia, or some of my other epic soundtracks while driving to school and back.
I'll admit up front, I'm not terribly fond of some of the music on the station. Please don't misunderstand. I'm a true, Biblical believer. I am a Christian, committed to Christ.
And there are quite a few good songs on your station.
But there's one in particular that made me stop and think. Superchick's "Stand in the Rain." I'm not a big fan of rock or heavy metal (hence, why I dislike some other songs you play) but despite that, I still enjoyed the song.
However, the song gave me pause to ask, what about the song points to Christ?
Even though I'm young, and have yet to weather some of life's heavier storms, I can still identify with the song. I think most people can identify with in one fashion or another. Everyone feels beaten down by the world at times. A lot of people have to hold back the tears that they want to shed over the situations they've been in, or are in.
But on a station like K-LOVE, Christ is supposed to be central. Yet "Stand in the Rain", while inspiring, doesn't mention Christ or even point to Him as any kind of solution to the problems the world throws at us. It sounds like an inspirational feel-good song one might hear on a soft-rock station (I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it turns up on one some time in the future.) where the only virtues are "belief" and holding fast to what you believe, and staying true to yourself. With no hard foundation (Christ) for why these are virtues.
There was at least one other song K-LOVE plays that is similar, the song "I Need You." This song was able to make the transition from K-LOVE airwaves to secular airwaves as a love song to a boyfriend WITHOUT CHANGING A SINGLE WORD. Nowhere in the Bible do I find anything to suggest Jesus is anyone's boyfriend.
This message isn't intended to demoralize, condemn or shame the station or its staff in any way. I'm not going to stop listening or write nasty letters. I still enjoyed the song, and I still enjoy some songs on the station.
I'm just saying perhaps it didn't occur to K-LOVE producers that the song, while powerful, has nothing Christian about it, and they may want to consider this when reviewing content for airing.
Sincerely,
David

2 comments:

T said...

Although I like the Superchick song I can see the point here.

It is not about whether the song is good or bad it is about the intended purposes and execution.

T said...

It's great to have a love song or a song about standing through trials. But, if your purpose is to lead others to Jesus and lift Him up then these songs are not the ones to choose.

A a nice song with great principles does not make it Christ centered.