I Repent

on Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I regret the hours I have wasted
and the pleasures I have tasted
that you were never in.
And I confess that though your love is in me,
it doesn't always win me
when competing with my sin.

I lament the idols I've accepted,
the commandments I've rejected
to pursue my selfish end.
And I confess I need you to revive me,
put selfishness behind me
and take up my cross again.

And I repent, making no excuses.
I repent, no one else to blame.
And I return to fall in love with Jesus.
I bow down on my knees and I repent.

Lyrics by Steve Green

Well if there ever were a reason to have a man-centered song, this would be it. If I am going to sing about me the topics should be: God, I see the sin and depravity of my actions, and I repent! I repent making no excuses! No one else to blame! I confess that I don't always choose God when He is competing with my sin!

Kudos to Steve Green for singing lyrics that many Christians have a hard time saying in their prayer life. He however could have left out the "return to fall in love with Jesus", as I feel it gives the wrong impression of our relationship with our Creator. I cannot find that terminology or reference in the Bible used toward God. To me, to say "fall in love" would include feelings of infatuation and that elated, "high" feeling that accompanies it. This kind of "love" is something that lasts typically a short time and, unless replaced by true love, results in broken relationships. When I think of the love I have for Jesus it is not that high, elated, infatuation I experienced 2,384 times before I graduated high school. It is for that reason that this song creeps it's way slightly into the "Jesus is my boyfriend" category.

As for the rest of it, again, kudos!

3 comments:

Christopher Cohen said...

Mabye:

"And I return to follow after Jesus"

Even So... said...

Yeah, we need to think these things through...

JoyfullyHis said...

This one reminds me of a nauseous song from my teen years at Riverside. If you find it in the music file, please burn it immediately. It always creeped me out in a "Jesus is my boyfriend" way.
I keep falling in love with him, over and over and over and over again. (2x) He gets sweeter and sweeter as the days go by, oh what a love between my Lord and I. I keep falling in love with him over and over and over and over again.

Maybe now I can erase it from my memory and never have to think of it again...