Here I Am To Worship

on Friday, March 20, 2009

Light of the world
You stepped down into darkness.
Opened my eyes, let me see.
Beauty that made this heart adore You
Hope of a life spent with You

So here I am to worship,
Here I am to bow down,
Here I am to say that You're my God
You're altogether lovely
Altogether worthy,
Altogether wonderful to me

King of all days
oh, so highly exalted
Glorious in heaven above
Humbly You came
To the earth You created
All for loves sake became poor

So here I am to worship,
Here I am to bow down,
Here I am to say that You're my God
You're altogether lovely
Altogether worthy,
Altogether wonderful to me

I'll never know how much it cost
To see my sin upon that cross


I'll never know how much it cost
To see my sin upon that cross



Well, I'm going to get yelled at a lot for this one. I've seen hundreds of posts all over the net with people praising this song and saying how "I could finally hear from God after singing this song", and "I had amazing personal revelations of God while hearing Tim Hughes sing this in concert". How about, "The writer of this song is highly favored by the Almighty God. It is a song from God which i believe God Himself really loves it so much.I love it so much,it always inspires me to worship God and makes me have the revelation of who God is.", and "I really love this song! I kept listening to it over again and again because it touched my heart. Try listening to it while thinking of the sin that we do and yet GOD still loves us. I am proud to sing this song to God. I am very proud to be a Christian."

That's it isn't it. We are so proud of ourselves and who we are and what we have become in the kingdom; super-Christians per se. God, You are sovereign and have done amazing things and have shown remarkable acts of mercy. In light of these facts, I, super-Christian, am here to worship. If You hadn't done all of these things then being God of the Universe is not enough to get me to bow down and call you my God, but since You have made Yourself worthy then here I am! Super-Christian!

Your altogether? This is another word I have a hard time with. To say altogether is to say entirely, utterly, with all included or counted, on the whole; with everything considered. God, on the whole and with everything considered, You are wonderful to me. Sounds weird huh? Not to mention that 'altogether' is a common term meaning 'a state of nudity'. Makes it really weird now huh?

I'll never know how much it cost? I have read that Ron Kenoly has said he couldn't sing this Bridge to the song. He didn’t agree with the lyrics “I’ll never know how much it cost to see my sins upon that cross”. He felt like Scripture has made the cost clear - John 3:16. So, he changes the lyrics to some way of thanking God for the price that Jesus paid.
I have also read the cross examination of this saying that emotionally we will never be able to fully comprehend it even though we can read what Jesus did in the Word and be told about the price paid. I'll never know the cost reminds me of the great mysteries that the Catholic priests talk about when you ask them about their theology. I have to side with Ron Kenoly.

The only redeeming quality I can find is that it is reformed theologically with that line "Opened my eyes, let me see." It doesn't hold enough weight to redeem the song though. I'll throw that baby out with the bathwater.

4 comments:

T said...

This song is in my annoying songs pile for sure.

I can let most of it go and "enter in" all of the I's if it is among a bunch of songs directly from scripture. But.......

The "I'll never know how much it cost...." line has always tweaked me. Seriously, that is like saying God's word is not enough because it clearly states in the Bible how much my sin costs.

So, if you love this song at least ditch the bridge.

Even So... said...

I don't like the song...it is against corporate worship, how can we sing this when it is so individually focused...and even for private devotional singing, the bridge is a problem...

Barbara said...

Nope, no yelling from this corner. To me it sounds like the singer is doing God a favor or something. It's horrible.

JoyfullyHis said...

Yet another song that accomplishes nothing.