The Adonai or My Adonai

on Monday, March 23, 2009

I started google-ing Hebrew lyrics for this blog. I know only a little hebrew. So i Google Adonai
I was shocked to see how many mainstream "christian" artist have songs titled "Adonai".
Adonai means "master or Lord". Correct me if i am wrong.

Lets all guess who Hillsong's Lord is:

I lift my voice

I lift my praise to You

I lift my hands
I lift my worship to You
And I love You more than I can say
Oh I love You more than I can say

Oh I love You always
Oh I love You always

Avalon's rendition of "Adonai" is:

Adonai, I lift up my heart and I cry
My Adonai
You are the Maker of each moment
FATHER of my hope and freedom
Oh, my Adonai
One timid faithful knock
Resounds up the Rock of Ages
One trembling heart and soul
Becomes a servant bold and courageous
You call across the mountains and the seas
I answer from the deepest part of me
From age to age you reign in Majesty
And today You're making miracles in me

Brian "Head" Welch- from Korn:

Let your worries rest on Adonai -

Life is just a test from Adonai -

Make your escape from life with Adonai -
Everything in life depends on Adonai -
Lift all your worries up to Adonai -
You will all stop hurting come to Adonai -

The OC Supertones was too embarrassing to put up,
nah changed my mind....

Well I'm as ugly as sin, that is to say I'm not good lookin' who are we talking about?
But I can bust some ska, in fact the rhythm rhyme is cookin'
Brighten up your soul and loosen up your brain
Make my heartbeat all fast like rebecca st. james Rebecca is Lord?
Now please allow me to proceed and bust my rude boy flow
On the underground scene at the underground show
Grownups, kids and inbetweens I guess it takes all kinds
'Cause I guess we got true love, my blood, my blood true love is blind
One purpose is to worship and to make the body strong Worship? Exercise?
I don't care about your haircut, can't we all just get along?
Not just get along, but to really love and care
If your eyes are on the lord you can't see nobody's hair
Oh God isnt a picky hairdressor
thats a relief

Adonai adonai!

Well I don't claim to be a rhymin' apparatus
I don't want to be a gangster, I don't want to be the baddest
I ain't no al pacino and I ain't no al capone
I'm just a rude boy with a new toy
Add two speakers and a microphone
So listen up, listen up and make sure that you can hear me
I'm your brother and I'm your friend so come on and get near me
I'm a sinner just like all of you don't make me into an idol
I'm a preacher, I'm a saint and sinner, guess I fit the titles
Gotta keep a humble heart, because my good is not enough TRUE
Jehova jireh gotta give the glory up up up Finally
To y'shua me salvitore
Gotta give you all the glory god, I give you all my fears
God I give you all my years uh wait wait
You're my god and I will bow, I'll show all the proud people how
You're my god and I will bow, in fact I think I'll bow right now
so lost...who are we talking about again
Adonai adonai! Oh thats right, who's that again

Petra: I think petra is closer than hillsong..oh geez

This thirsting within my soul
Won't cease til I've been made whole
To know you, to walk with you
To please you in all I do
You uphold the righteous and your faithfulness shall endure
(Chorus)
Adonai, Master of the earth and sky
You alone are worthy, Adonai
Adonai, let creation testify
Let your majesty be magnified in me
Adonai, you are an endless mystery
Unchanging consuming fire
Lift me up from mud and mire
Set my feet upon your rock, let me dwell in your righteousness
When the storms surround me, speak the word and they will be still
And this thirst and hunger is a longing only you can fill


Now we All know THE CURE (adonais).

he breaks the spell still young
awakes from out this dream of life
and leaves us sleeping
storm racked blind consumed
by phantom pale displays of grief
he slips from out this shadow land of pain
where heads grow sorrow grey
and age destroys all hope
and spirits crushed
lament and hide away

but wordless watch the soft sky smile
and breathless hear the low wind sigh
"what death may join no more let life divide"

but wordless watch the soft sky smile
and breathless hear the low wind sigh
"what death may join no more let life divide"

"dream yourself awake" he calls
"eternity awaits us all
open your eyes and be with me
be with me... "

the cure lyrics seem a little more relevant and appropriate than our christian artist's.

Paul Wilbur (Baloche): Adonai
MY MAN!
Now thats Praise
Who is like Him
The Lion and the Lamb
Seated on the throne
Mountains bow down
Every ocean roars
To the Lord of hosts

Praise Adonai
From the rising of the sun
'Til the end of every day
Praise Adonai
All the nations of the earth
All the angels and the saints
Sing Praise

I may have sounded sarcastic in some of my comment. I dont write songs. I can imagine how difficult it must be to be correct 100% of the time. But you have too agree some of these songs are incredibly disrespectful to "Adonai" Lord and Master.

6 comments:

Even So... said...

Here are two good links that talk about music related issues

Does It Matter Who Writes the Songs We Sing?

http://www.worshipmatters.com/2008/02/does-it-matter-who-writes-the-songs-we-sing/

Would you sing this song?

http://expositorythoughts.wordpress.com/2009/03/25/would-you-sing-this-song/

Even So... said...

Both sites are run by people I am in substantial agreement with...

Even So... said...

Oh, and I love the kickin praise band banner, just remmeber I have copyrighted that phrase...

:-)

Kickin' Praise Band
©2006 Voice of Vision ministries, all rights reserved...

MrsEvenSo... said...

Great job Squirl!

Even So... so... where did you say this kickin praise band is???

Marie said...

GREAT post. I just surfed in thru Barbara's site (Collection) and I really think you've touched on something unfortunate and true here - "me-centered" worship song lyrics. FWIW, the Baloche version is by far my favorite of the "Adonai" songs - I like his "Hosanna" too.

My husband and I sometimes count seconds in a praise song before the lyrics "I", "me" or "mine" are used. I like when they set the older hymns to modern arrangements - "Crown Him Lord of All"; "The Wonderous Cross"; "Be Thou My Vision" and "In Christ Alone", for example.

"I am a Friend of God" and "I Will Give You All My Worship" have catchy beats, but the lyrics are so self-absorbed they are painful to listen to.

JoyfullyHis said...

Yikes on the Supertones! I was just reading those going "Whaaaaa?!" Sheeeeesh. But maybe this is one of the reasons why I don't like our local Christian radio station...